DIY Christmas gifts made with honey
Homemade Christmas Gifts for 2020
Looking for some great ideas for hand-made personalised Christmas gifts for 2020 ? Once again it’s that time of the year when festive delights in the form of cheerful spirit, decadent food, twinkling tinsel, sparkling lights are all around us. With the Christmas season well and truly upon us and everyone in need of some thoughtful and affordable present giving, what could be better than home-made Xmas gifts ?
Picking out the perfect Xmas present is hard enough but to make it thoughtful and non-commercial is akin to asking for a miracle. If you are looking for natural, DIY Christmas gifts that do not require the crafting skills of a professional, is budget-friendly and comes packed with the goodness of honey then you are at the right place.
But first why honey? As honey is rich in antioxidants and anti-bacterial properties, it helps your skin to lock moisture and neutralise cell-damaging radicals. Historical uses of honey as a beauty and personal care ingredient dates back to ancient civilisations. Historical evidence shows that Cleopatra used honey in her milk baths in ancient Egypt whereas Sarah, the Duchess of Marlborough (1660-1744) used a secret honey and water concoction that helped her to have lustrous locks. In Ayurvedic scriptures, honey known as madhu is even today prescribed for promoting healthy hair and skin.
Since 2014, the UK and European markets have seen an unprecedented rise in organic and natural beauty products. In 2018 an estimated £86.5m worth of certified and organic beauty products were sold in the UK alone. The true beauty of honey is that its magical powers can be harnessed right in your kitchen.
Give these homemade gifts a holiday spin by adding them in cute jars, packing them with Christmas colour ribbons and adding holiday tags. So, for DIY gifts that are as sweet as honey itself, read on.
Coconut-honey lip scrub
- One teaspoon of granulated sugar into a small bowl.
- One teaspoon of coconut oil.
- One teaspoon of BeeRoots raw honey.
- A few drops of red food colour.
The time required to make: 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar with coconut oil. If the coconut oil has hardened, heat it in a microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add raw honey to the sugar-coconut mixture and gently mix it in. You can heat raw honey for about 10 seconds if it is hardened.
- Add 2-3 drops of red food colour and give it a stir. If you want a more red shade, you can add a few more drops of the food colour.
How to pack and store:
- You can pack it in a tin jar or a glass mason jar, add a little holiday ribbon, personalised gift tag and festive decor to give it a festive feel.
- Store it at a temperature where it is not too cold nor too hot. Your kitchen cabinet works fine.
Honey hydrating hair mask
- 1 ripe mashed avocado.
- ½ cup BeeRoots raw honey.
The time required to make: 5 minutes.
- Simply mix the two together in a bowl.
How to pack, store and use:
- Pack it in a glass jar. Make it festive as required.
- Store it in the fridge.
- When required, scoop out some, apply it to the hair for at least 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with mild shampoo.
- As this mixture is entirely made of fresh ingredients, we recommend not to keep it for more than ten days.
Honey and rose hand cream
- ½ cup of coconut oil.
- ½ cup of organic shea butter.
- 3-4 tablespoons of BeeRoots raw honey.
- 1-2 tsp of vanilla essence.
- 10 drops of rose essential oil.
The time required to make: 1-2 hours including cooling time.
- Measure and add all your ingredients except the essential oil to a clean and odourless pan.
- Mix it together over low heat so it starts melting slowly.
- Once it is completely melted, allow it to cool down.
- Cool it further in the fridge for 1-2 hours. This will solidify the mixture.
- Add the essential oils once to the solidified mixture.
- Whip everything with a hand mixer.
How to pack and store:
- Pack it in a decorative glass jar.
- Store it in your beauty/bathroom cupboard.
We know that Christmas is the period to celebrate and over-indulgence is to be expected. Treat yourself or others to your very own DIY honey-based beauty products!